"As the river gives itself to the ocean, what is inside me moves inside you." ~Robert Bly
The Subtle Body - The 9th Body of Light Consciousness
The Subtle Body is very light, transparent, and etheric. It permeates all the ten Light Bodies of Consciousness, and is concentrated around the soles of the feet. The Subtle Body contains wisdom and the knowledge of Infinity. Yogi Bhajan says, "Whatever you say, you must be in a position to hear. If you cannot hear what you speak, you will never hear the subtle voice of your own consciousness speaking to you."
The Subtle Body is very close to the Soul Body, and at death, the Subtle Body carries the Soul Body. Strengthening our Subtle Body brings us to be more intimate with our Soul, and gives us Self Awareness. The Subtle Body helps us see beyond the immediate reality to the sublime Universal play. Through the Subtle Body we can Know the Unknown, Hear the Unheard, and See the Unseen. We touch into other dimensions of Knowing.
Several ways to strengthen our Soul Body are:
1) Choose a Pranayama, Mantra, or Kriya to practice daily for 1000 days - this gives us the opportunity to tune into the subtleties of the gifts of that Pranayama/Mantra/Kriya that can not be attained otherwise.
2) Refine your speech, actions, diet, home space, and dress. Develop refinement through the arts, dance, and music.
3) Learn to penetrate deeply - read between the lines.
4) Antar Naad Mudra - this is a beautiful mantra meditation, and the detailed instructions are below.
When we have a strong Subtle Body, we are sensitive, intuitive, subtle, and refined. We have great finesse, and a powerful calmness. We can penetrate deeply and see beyond superficiality. We learn quickly, can read between the lines, have the ability to see the big-picture, and are long-term in thinking and acting. We can access the information we need at will.
If we are weak in the Subtle Body, we may be gullible, naive, and easily fooled or mis-led. We may be unintentionally rough in speech and awkward in behaviour. We may be over-focused on details, and have a limited perspective.
"If a person is very acknowledging and has all essences in harmony, then he can use his Subtle Body. And the subtle beam is so powerful that it can move the unmovable just by thought." ~ Yogi Bhjan
Practices for the Subtle Body: Antar Naad Mudra (Kabadshe Meditation) and Kriya
1) The Antaar Naad Mudra is a beautiful mantra meditation which refines communication and strengthens the Subtle Body.
Sit comfortably with the spine straight, a light Jalandhara Bandh (chin lock), and the hands in Buddhi Mudra (thumb tips touching the pinky finger tips). Chant for 11-31 minutes.
Saa Ray Saa Saa, Saa Ray Saa Saa,
Saa Ray Saa Saa, Saa Rung
Har Ray Har Har, Har Ray Har Har,
Har Ray Har Har, Har Rung
"Saa" represents the totality of Infinity. It connects us to the Etheric realm and our Subtle Body. "Har" is the energy of Creation manifested, and it roots us to the Earth. Buddhi Mudra is the Mudra of communication (the pinky being related to the planet Mercury, and the element Water).
Nirinjan Kaur has a lovely version of this mantra on her "Prem" album.
2) Click here for a Kriya that can be used to strengthen the Subtle Body
Dawn Rabey, PhD
Transpersonal Psychotherapist Registered Clinical Counsellor